Unable to create directory uploads. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
This article will direct you to fix the error related to uploading/importing into WordPress’ media library: Is its parent catalog writable by the waiter?
The accompanying blunders may you get when you attempt to transfer/import media into WordPress’ media library then, at that point:
- Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads
- Unable to create directory /wp-content/uploads/ Is its parent directory writable by the server?
- Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2022/02
Method 1: Update/Change the Uploads Directory Settings
This is the easiest option to try and solve this error so you should try this one first :
- Log into your WordPress admin dashboard
- Go to the Media Settings menu (Settings -> Media)
- Enter wp-content/uploads in the “Store uploads in this folder” text box
- Save the changes by hitting the “Save Changes” button and you are done
Method 2: Changing Folder Permissions
If you still get the “Is its parent directory writable by the server?” error after following Method 1, you might want to try resetting the permissions of your uploads folder.
Simply follow the instructions below:
- Connect to your account via an FTP client or file manager. Go to the WordPress installation directory — commonly in /public_html.
- Open the wp-content folder and right-click on the uploads folder.
- Click on File Permissions. A new dialogue box will pop up. Look for the Numeric Value field and enter 755.
- Scroll down and make sure the Recurse into subdirectories box is checked.
- Select Apply to directories only and click OK